About the position
This exciting volunteering opportunity based at our Northcote op shop will be instrumental in supporting the Redistribution Centre Coordinator in the daily operations of our new recycling facility.
In this role, you will help us review op shop donations and identify items that can be sold for recycling or redirected to our Northcote op shop for sale.
Your contribution will be critical in helping Sacred Heart Mission to increase our positive environmental impact.
About Sacred Heart Mission
Every day of the year, Sacred Heart Mission assists hundreds of people who are experiencing homelessness or disadvantage to find shelter, food, care and support. Through our wide-ranging homelessness services, research and innovation we strongly advocate for an inclusive, fair and compassionate community where people can overcome disadvantage and trauma.
Everyone is welcome at our table
We are committed to providing volunteering opportunities for all people regardless of age, gender, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation. We recognise the strength and value in diversity, and actively foster an inclusive community. People who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our op shops
Our 13 op shops in Melbourne contribute up to 30 percent of Sacred Heart Mission’s total income.
As redistribution centre for their communities, our stores work with local businesses and residents on reducing landfill, giving pre-loved goods a second home and educating communities on how to reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Sort stock received from stores into recycling categories in preparation for sale;
- Identify stock that could be sold in our Northcote op shop. This might include designer and vintage wear, collectibles, and valuables;
- Independently lift 5kg on a regular basis during a shift. Manual handling training will be provided.
We are flexible with what fits your schedule but prefer a half or full day commitment once a week or fortnight. The redistribution centre operates from Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.
You will need to:
- Undergo a National Police Check,
- Provide proof of a Covid-19 vaccination,
- Review and sign our Covid-Safe plan and Covid-19 Code of Conduct.