About the position
A fun volunteering opportunity where you will facilitate a weekly Tai Chi class for Sacred Heart Mission Hub clients.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone who has experience in teaching Tai Chi and can adapt Tai Chi for people with a diverse range of abilities and health conditions.
As you will be working with clients you should have an understanding of the issues involved in poverty and homelessness and the capacity to work respectfully with a diverse range of clients, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a friendly, non-judgmental approach and the ability to work with minimal supervision and to maintain clear boundaries with clients.
Qualifications and licenses:
- Tai Chi Teaching Qualification
- Registration with Tai Chi Association of Australia or other relevant body
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
An interview will need to be conducted in order to assess individuals suitability to the role.
About Sacred Heart Mission
Every day of the year, Sacred Heart Mission assists hundreds of people who are experiencing homelessness or disadvantage to find shelter, food, care and support. Through our wide-ranging homelessness services, research and innovation we strongly advocate for an inclusive, fair and compassionate community where people can overcome disadvantage and trauma.
Everyone is welcome at our table
We are committed to providing volunteering opportunities for all people regardless of age, gender, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation. We recognise the strength and value in diversity, and actively foster an inclusive community. People who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Wellness Place
The Wellness Place provides support to at least 150 clients each month through a range of allied health therapies and skills development activities. Clients have histories of homelessness and disadvantage. Many have a range of complex needs resulting from negative life experiences including exposure to trauma and social isolation.
A team of volunteer practitioners and facilitators provide allied health and complementary therapies including but not limited to:
- Physiotherapy, podiatry, optometry and nutrition
- Osteopathy student clinic
- Therapeutic groups, workshops and other wellbeing activities
- Facilitate a weekly Tai Chi class for SHM Hub clients
- Provide supportive guidance to participants
- Provide a flexible and accessible class framework that enables people to make choices and participate at different levels
- Report any client complaints or issues of concern (client behavior or duty of care issues) to WP Coordinator
- Assist with set up and pack up after the session and ensure any equipment is accounted for
- Maintain clear professional boundaries with clients at all times.
- Support administration component of The Wellness Place as required
Weekly – although there is flexibility with days and time the activity would need to take place between 9am-1pm Tues/Thurs/or Fri (11am ideal)
Apply online via the link below, make sure to select ‘Wellness Place – Tai Chi instructor [Health & Wellbeing\Various]’ in the ‘Areas of Interest’ – ‘Assignment Preference’ section of the form.
We will then conduct an in person interview and if successful you need to willing undergo a police check and a Working with Children Check.