About the position
Befriend an older person living in our Sacred Heart Community or an affiliated aged care home and make a difference to their life.
By volunteering in an aged care residential facility, you can improve the quality of life for older people who may have limited contact with others and as a result are at risk of isolation and loneliness – whether for social or cultural reasons, or due to disability.
With the aim of building a long term relationship with your resident, you need to be able to commit to regular visits each fortnight for a minimum of six months.
Many of our residents are from different cultural backgrounds and want to chat in their home language. If you speak another language, you are encouraged to apply.
About Sacred Heart Mission
Every day of the year, Sacred Heart Mission assists hundreds of people who are experiencing homelessness or disadvantage to find shelter, food, care and support. Through our wide-ranging homelessness services, research and innovation we strongly advocate for an inclusive, fair and compassionate community where people can overcome disadvantage and trauma.
Everyone is welcome at our table
We are committed to providing volunteering opportunities for all people regardless of age, gender, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation. We recognise the strength and value in diversity, and actively foster an inclusive community. People who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Regularly visit an isolated resident (that you are matched with) in an aged care residential facility.
- Engage them in hobbies and activities which can range from reading the newspaper together through to making music or playing cards.
- Everyone is welcome to apply as a volunteer.
- We are currently specifically looking for a Greek speaking volunteer for a resident in Calvary Elanora based in Brighton.
- We are also keen to find a volunteer who plays the Guitar for a resident in Wintringham based in Port Melbourne.
Weekly or fortnightly, ideally between Monday and Friday during business hours, for a minimum of six months
As part of the application process, we will ask you to agree to a confidentiality agreement, adhere to our Code of Conduct, and be willing to undergo the required safety screening (eg Police or NDIS check; all costs will be covered by Sacred Heart Mission).
Funded by the Australian Government